Sunday, May 07, 2006

 

What's underway and Harris DK?




I am so happy to be here, and already have three (!) of the book's projects underway - 2 (!) Nina's shawls - one in cotton, the other in wool - AND the moderne baby blanket.

Like some kind of knitting fool, I also want to do the FLYING GEESE blanket, but can't find the Harris DK yarn from any of my on-line knitting sources. One site said that it was now called Scottish Tweed, but the colors don't match. ANYONE? I dont' have the guts n' gumption to try to pick the colors on my own.

Comments:
I love the colors in the purple shawl!
 
Re Harris Tweed/Scottish Tweed! It's the curse of publishing a knitting book--the minute you name a particular yarn, they discontinue it or change it. The Flying Geese blanket shown in the book uses a mix of yarns which are no longer available. We'll try to find you a substitute that makes a closer color match. One idea off the top of my head is Harrisville Designs New England Knitters Highland, a worsted wool that comes in 56 (beautiful) shades.

http://www.harrisville.com/html/yarns.html

I need to get the shade card so I can get a good view of the colors. But this is a lovely (American made!) yarn with the heathery look of the yarns shown in the book's Flying Geese blanket.
 
Rowan has changing the yarn name from Harris tweed to Scottish tweed. Something about copyrights. It is the same yarn but some colors are discontinued. I'm in the UK and can find them at my LYS. What are you looking for? Contact me at cjb_roe at yahoo.co.uk
 
Love your Nina shawl! I'm getting ready to start mine in cotton and may have to join the M-D knitalong!

Kathy
 
Hi, I was just wandering the blogosphere and here I am at your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

This is one to watch.

Cheers,

binoculars birdwatching
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?