Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Mason Dixon KAL: July 2006

Helpful Tip

Hi! I've been lurking for awhile now and have enjoyed so much looking at everyone's warshcloths and other lovely projects. Since I haven't been here that long, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. I've read several posts about the cotton yarn fading. Years ago a woman at a needlecraft shop passed along to me the tip of dipping my finished cotton cloths in a mixture of part vinegar/part water before using them for the first time, to help prevent fading. It has worked very well for me and the colors of my cloths have stayed vivid for a much longer time. Just wanted to pass this tip along in case there was anyone who hadn't heard of it. :)

Berna

Comments:
I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense, as that's how you set dye! Great advice!

*runs off to make dipping instruction note cards to gift with ballbands*
 
I used to do the same thing with tie-dyes! Great idea!
 
After the dip do you let it dry and then wash it? Or do you wash it while still wet? I'd like to eliminate the vinegar smell...
 
I remember being told to do that years ago with my regular wash so that new clothes would not bleed.
Great tip!
 
Hi Newamy,

No,I don't bother to let the cloth dry before washing it.

I generally use a round cake pan for dipping, and I leave the cloth in the vinegar/water mixture for a few minutes on each side, turning it over to make sure it all gets covered. Then I just take it out and start washing with it, using my dishwashing liquid.

Hope it works well for you and everyone else! :)

Berna
 
what part vinegar to what part water? great idea! thank you for sharing...i had not heard of this before.
 
Hi Lindsey,

You use equal parts. I normally use one cup of water to one cup of vinegar. :)

Berna
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?