Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

Washcloth action

So after lurking and lusting here and on the Mason-Dixon blog I finally broke down and bought the book. (This means a lot, mind you, since I'm currently unemployed.) So howdy everyone! I've knitted for 20-odd years, but never used cotton or made "home-goods" before. Now I'm suddenly craving pot-holder loops and eyeing all my old T-shirts while visions of rag rugs dance in my head.

Here's an action shot of my first ball-band washcloth, done in Lily Sugar & Cream. Since these will be used as my daily face towels, and won't get soaking-heavy wet, I chained a nifty little loop hanger after finishing the bind-off.

Anyone out there familiar with both the S&C and the P&C cotton? None of my local stores have the P&C but I will gladly order online if there's a difference in quality/softness. I want them to be nice and soft for sensitive skin. Opinions?

OK, enough yakity yak -- I can get a few more pattern repeats in before starting dinner!

Comments:
Great picture! I think if you want softness you have to give up absorbensy. I have noticed any difference between SnC & PnC
 
I just finished one in those exact colors - how funny is that?
 
I prefer the quality of Sugar and Cream over Peaches and Cream. PnC seems more apt to split. But I do use both as color is a bigger drive for me.
 
I can barely tell the difference, sometimes I see colours I prefer in one or the other, but I think that is the store buyer, rather than the yarn, so if you like snc, don't order on line.
 
I can barely tell the difference, sometimes I see colours I prefer in one or the other, but I think that is the store buyer, rather than the yarn, so if you like snc, don't order on line.
 
On the MasonDixon website there is a funny link where someone did "scientific testing" on the various cotton yarns. Also, beware of buying online, only because there is huge differences in dyelots. I bought a ball of Neptune Ombre, and later a ball of Neptune Ombre somewhere else and they were barely recognizable as the same colour. Same with Midnight Magic. Swear they were two different colours. But they're not. Sigh.
 
Oh, also, wash your washcloth in Baking soda or epsom salts and they will A) be absorbent (unlike fabric softener) and B) be buttery soft.
 
Bernat CotnTots is 100% cotton and very soft, but there is not a lot of color selection. In my neck of the woods (Baltimore suburbs) it's sold at Michael's and AC Moore. Love your colors!
 
If you ever buy yarn online - I made some ballbands with Knitpicks Shine(DK) before I was able to get my hands on some Pnc or SnC - and the result is so much softer than the kitchen cotton ones that I use those 3 as washcloths.
 
I find that P&C often has tied on ends in the balls. Almost every SINGLE ball that I buy of that has a tied end and then the colors change. It really irks me, but by that time I'm too far into it to take it back.

But yes, be very careful about dye lots because these colors rarely match between lots.
 
OMG i just did one in those EXACT same colors!! how crazy is that??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?