Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Help needed with Nine Patch, please

Hi!

I'm not a new knitter but I seem to have great difficulty following any directions where every step is not laid out line by line, inch by inch. :)

I'm ashamed to say that I'm having a problem getting started with the Nine Patch dishcloth. The directions for patches 1, 2 and 3 say to knit 12 garter ridges. After the initial cast on, shouldn't I then knit twenty-four rows of garter stitch to get these twelve ridges? I completed the first patch, added on and completed the second, but after I started the third, somehow the first patch looks like it's on the "right" side of the cloth but the third one looks like it's on the wrong side!

Can anyone help me? (I don't have access to a digital camera to show my work. ) I feel that I need to have these three patches down correctly or the rest of the cloth will be off.

After I add on the second color for the second patch, won't I just be knitting another twenty-four rows, and then the same for the third patch?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! :)

Berna

Comments:
Berna--what you need to do is establish a "right side" and a "wrong side" for your work, beginning with the initial patch. Just make sure you're ending your 24 garter rows (12 ridges) on the "wrong side," and picking up each new patch on the "right side". Hope this helps.
 
It does! Thank you very much, Terri! :)

By the way, I love your Homeland Security ballband!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?