Friday, December 22, 2006

 

Baby Kimono Question

I FINALLY got all my Christmas warshrag knitting done and distributed! Whew! Now, in anticipation of a couple of new babies at church in 2007, I am starting on baby clothes and accessories. I am making the kimono, but I want to have a button rather than a ribbon tie. Has anyone done this? Can you share how and where to place the buttonhole? I would appreciate any help!

If I don't post again before Christmas: I wish everyone a very blessed and happy holiday season and many blessing for 2007!

hugz!

Comments:
Hi, sometimes when I put a button on a baby item. I sew the button on and put a little snap on underneath. Another thing you can do is crochet a little chain loop where you want the button. That works well for small buttons.
Hope that helps
 
ditto...I was going to suggest a snap. You might try searching the kimono on this blog - I know someone posted a pic of the snap either this month or last.
 
I have made several versions of the baby kimono - it's such a fun pattern to knit!! I've done two that use buttons. One, I put the button hole on the outside flap, starting four stitches in and with about six garter stitch rows to the finish (about 1/2 inch from the bottom). I had to eyeball this but I think it looks pretty good. Also, on this kimono, I used a tie to secure the inside flap, crocheting a single chain stitch on the end of the inside flap and making another chain stitch tie on the inside.
For the second kimono I did with buttons, I modified the pattern. Instead of increasing the front flaps all the way to the front corners, I stopped the increases on both flaps about 3/4 of the way across the front. Then, I placed two buttons holes on the same row, about 2 and 1/2 inches from the bottom of the sweater. It sort of has a double breasted suit look, except I think a double-breasted suit has four buttons.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?