Saturday, December 02, 2006
My first heartbreakingly cute baby kimono!
I was in a bit of a rush when I finished the kimono, and there are a few things I might change if I were to do it over again. I am nervous that it being 100% cotton and stockinette stitch it may shrink a lot or be too tight. I also thought the ends of the sleeves seemed like they'd be a tight fit, even for little hands. When I do my next one, I think I'd try a different method of increasing and decreasing, as I found sewing those sleeves very tricky and the seams a bit bulky. I wasn't able to get mattress stitch to work for me on those edges. Since the kimono's for a boy, I decided to use crochet chains for ties, rather than ribbon. I'm not much of a crocheter, so I kind of winged it. I'm now wishing I had placed the outer tie closer to the edge of the kimono.
All in all, I'm really pleased with how this project turned out. I am definitely hooked on Mason Dixon Knitting! I think my next project will be a log cabin blanket :)