Saturday, December 02, 2006

 

My first heartbreakingly cute baby kimono!

I finished my first heartbreakingly cute baby kimono last weekend, just in time for a baby shower. I actually forgot to take a picture of it before leaving for the shower, so I apologize for the poor picture quality -- I took it outside before going into the shower. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, and the mom-to-be really seemed to liked it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so a few things are bugging me, but overall I think it turned out pretty well. I had a heck of a time finishing those sleeves (with the stairstep increases/decreases). This was my first full garment other than a hat or a scarf, so I'm pretty excited. I used Sugar N Cream Ecru and stockingette stitch. I started the kimono before we were pretty sure it's a boy, so I used a very neutral color. I weaved 3/8" baby blue ribbon in the eyelet holes created by the increases. I've already forgotten what size needles I used; I think they were 6's. I am in love with my KnitPicks options set!

I was in a bit of a rush when I finished the kimono, and there are a few things I might change if I were to do it over again. I am nervous that it being 100% cotton and stockinette stitch it may shrink a lot or be too tight. I also thought the ends of the sleeves seemed like they'd be a tight fit, even for little hands. When I do my next one, I think I'd try a different method of increasing and decreasing, as I found sewing those sleeves very tricky and the seams a bit bulky. I wasn't able to get mattress stitch to work for me on those edges. Since the kimono's for a boy, I decided to use crochet chains for ties, rather than ribbon. I'm not much of a crocheter, so I kind of winged it. I'm now wishing I had placed the outer tie closer to the edge of the kimono.

All in all, I'm really pleased with how this project turned out. I am definitely hooked on Mason Dixon Knitting! I think my next project will be a log cabin blanket :)

Comments:
You did a fabulous job on the kimono! Very heartbreakingly cute, I'd have to say.
 
Thanks so much, Danielle! I'm looking forward to the next one :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?