Monday, July 03, 2006

 

~ Log Cabin Question?~

I want to knit the log cabin blanket.

I have a few questions I am in the summer of stash so I cannot buy any yarn for a bit longer I would love to use something I had anyways but I don't think that I have enough colors in anything in my stash. After my no yarn buying time is up I am thinking that I will buy some yarn for this but not to sure what to buy since cotton classics is not what you would call cheap!

Any sueestions on a cheaper yarn to use that would hold up well and still feel pretty nice to snuggle up with?

Also what length needle will I need once I get to the longer sides? I plan to use circular needles but knit straight.

Thanks!!

Last question where is everyone getting there EuroFlax yarn from it seems to be hard to find latley?

Comments:
I'm using Bernat Cotton Tots for my mitered squares. The colors are bright and sort of babyish, but I think if I balance it out with a lot of white and beige it will be fine. I can get 6 or 7 mitered squares from one skein, or maybe more. I'm still working with the original skeins I bought and I have about 15 squares and plenty of yarn left.
 
a couple of us (at least!) are using elann.com Sonata. It's a mercerized cotton that's fairly similar to tahki CC in gauge and yardage, comes in tons of colors, and costs $2/ball. word on the street is that you should swatch, wash, and dry it before getting into your log cabin. midnight purl says it plumps up a bit.

good luck! i'll be posting about mine on my blog, maybe on here if i can get into the knitalong!
 
I'm making a Courthouse Steps blanket from MDK but couldn't shell out that much $$$ for the Rowan Denim yarn. I checked into Elann's Denim yarn but it would have been upwards of $80. Eventually I settled on Lion Brand Cotton. Very very limited colors if you want to do a log cabin, but for the Courthouse Steps the colors work well and it is much softer than a kitchen cotton. I'll post a photo here soon, as well as on my blog as I'm about a third of the way into it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?