Saturday, August 05, 2006

 

Another Euroflax Question

OK, I frogged the hand towel (to be used as a placemat) I'd done on size 4s and tried the same pattern on size 2s, only to discover I still didn't like the loose look of the fabric and so had to revisit the frog pond yet again. Grrrrrrrrr. I think I may just do a simple tabby weave on the rigid heddle loom instead of fussing with the moss grid pattern on size 0s.

Anyway, here's my question: I found what looks like a good source for Euroflax in bulk at a discount (NAYY). A friend and I decided awhile back to go in halves on an order and she's just picked out which yarns she wants. Now that I've played with the sport weight Euroflax, I'm not sure if that's the grist I want to order. This website has everything from very fine laceweight (5200 ypp) to bulky (685 ypp), and I'm wondering which grist(s) would be the most versatile and/or nicest to work with. In particular, I'm considering worsted and bulky weights (for sweaters and other clothing items) and lace (at 2600 ypp) and sport weights (for shawls and maybe some other MDK projects, like the champagne bubble curtain). I really feel like the Euroflax sport weight doesn't match what I think of as a sport weight in wool -- it seems quite a bit finer, and the consensus on the list seems to be that it doesn't bloom when washed -- so without being able to see a sample in person of each grist I'm feeling a bit at sea. I know yarn preference is a very subjective thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried Euroflax in any grist besides sport weight, and if so, what you thought of it. Comments/preferences/advice, anyone?

http://splindarella05.blogspot.com/

Comments:
Hi. I'm a Louet dealer, and I can tell you something, but it's just how I perceive it. (I can also rustle up a sample card if you want.)

Louet lists the gauge of the worsted weight (Athens, Geneva)at 4.5 - 5.5 sts/inch, which puts it at between aran and DK, depending on needle size. The bulky (Heathers) is listed at 3.5 - 4 sts/inch, depending on needle size. Euroflax original is listed as 6 sts/inch. It is possible to get this gauge, but it may take more trial and error than with wool.

Linen is a fiber you have to get used to in terms of the initial stiffness and lack of elasticity. From my experience, this is more pronounced with the heavier weights. You get used to it, but knitting to gauge is a different skill with linen, hemp, etc, than with wool. The results are unique, and I think worth the energy of learning to worth with the fiber.

I would agree that it doesn't bloom when washed. It does relax, however, and get softer.
 
Looking at the gorgeous Louboutin Shoes
, I smiled. Since then, Christian Louboutin Boots
became a best friend of mine. Christian Louboutin is very successful in the area of Christian Louboutin Pumps
. The Christian Louboutin Sandals
which are designed by him are so special.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?